Who are we – Postpartum Terminology – Expected Duties – Compensation – Work Schedule – Marketing your Skill – What an Intern Does – What a Night Looks Like – Premature Nursery Necessities, Nursery Suggestions, Fetal Development, Preemies, Rules for caring for a Preemie, Swaddling, Feeding, Holding a Preemie, Adjusted Age Explained, Apgar explained, Newborn Appearance, Birthmarks, Hearing, Sight, Fontanels, Nasoaxillary Reflex, Skin Irregularities, Chest and Breasts, Genitals, Finger and Toe Nail Care, Kangaroo Care, Milestones, Immunizations, Home with a Newborn, Newborn Reflexes, Tongue and Lip Tie, Diapering, Cloth Diapers, Care for Circumcision and Uncircumcised, Umbilical Cord Care, Womb Bath, Sponge Bath, Baby Massage, Why do Babies Cry, Crying Rules, Benefits of Crying, Crying it Out Pros and Cons, Reading a Baby’s Signs, Physiological, Motor, Self-Regulation and State of a Baby’s Cues, Soothing Techniques, Five S’s.
Swaddling History, Pros and Cons, When to Swaddle, Methods of Swaddling, Swaddling Demonstrations, Breakout Baby, Reasons not to Swaddling, Hip Dysplasia, Sensory Stimulus, Comforted or Shut Down, Respiration Infections, Swaddling Mistakes, When to Stop Swaddling, How to Transition from Swaddled to Unswaddled
Sleep Conditioning, Sleep Training, Sleep Explained, Circadian Clock, Red Lights, White Noise Machines and their benefits, Sleepy Signs, Biological Clocks, Research on the Best Methods to Sleep Train, Articles on Why Not Enough Sleep is Dangerous, Rules to Sleep By, Hints for Sleep Conditioning, Feeding Guidelines for Sleeping Babies, Dream Feeds, Newborn Naps, Self-Soothing the French Way, Sleep Training Dr. Cohen’s Method, Daytime Activity, Miscellaneous Sleep Training Methods – Tried and True, Sleep Training for a 8 month old, Sleep Crutches, Develop a Sleep Training Plan, Do a Consultation for Sleep Training, What to Charge for Consultations, How To Get Paid for a Consultation, How Not to Give Away Your Information and Still Get the Business, Cry It Out To Do or Not to Do.Scheduling, Co-Sleeping, Feeding, Sleep Conditioning, Logs, Poop: What’s Normal, Meconium, Bottle Feeding/Breast Feeding Baby, Poop, Warning Signs, What to do with Constipation, Diarrhea, Scheduling: Demand, Scheduled and Responsible Schedules, Routine Four – Over Six Pounds, How to Create a Baby Log, Newborn Naps From Four – Six Months, Daytime Nap Routine, Daily Wake, Play Feed Chart up to 12 months, Daily Sleep Chart, Schedule Newborn to Eight Weeks, Pacifiers: AAP Decision, How to Use, When to Use, When to Pull the Plug, Pros and Cons.
Formulas: Are Formula’s FDA Approved, Types of Formulas: Milk Based, Soy Based, Lactose Based, Hypoallergenic, Special Needs, Organic, What is Organic, Why Organic is Not Organic Any More, Dangers of Soy Formula, DHA/ARA Dangers, GMO in Formula, Sugar in Formula, Goats Milk: Is it Safe, Recommended, Compared to Cow’s Milk, Dairy Allergy vs. Daily Hypersensitivity, Lactose Intolerance, Signs of Milk Allergies, Importance of Iron Fortified Formula, Comparison of the Most Popular Formulas, Buying Bottles and Nipples, Cleaning Bottles, Warming Bottles, Water to Use When Making Formula, Direction on How to Make Formula, How Much to Feed, How Often to Feed, When to Feed, Is Baby Getting the Correct Amount, Over-Feeding- Under-Feeding Signs, Guidelines for Weight Gain, Newborn Schedule for Feeds, The First Three Days, Methods for Burping, When to Burp, When Burping is Enough, Types of Formula i.e.: Concentrate, Ready to Feed, Powder, Switching Formulas, Sterilizing Bottles, Comparing Breast Milk with Formula, Feeding Guidelines from three days to for months, Bottle Feeding a Breast Fed Baby.
Breastfeeding: Why is Breastmilk so Good, Process of Breastmilk Production, Supply and Demand, How to Increase Supply, Breastfeeding Difficulties, Cradle Hold, Cross Cradle, Football Hold, Side Hold, Natural Breastfeeding – Positioning, Pressure Points, Breastfeeding Tips, Tips for Large Breasted Mothers, Wake up Baby to Feed, Perfect Latch, C-Hold, How Often, How Long to Breastfeed, Calories for a BreastFeeding Mom, How to Tell if Baby is Getting Adequate Breastmilk, Should a Baby Eat More Than Every Three Hours, Nipple Confusion, How to Avoid Nipple Confusion, Should you Introduce a Bottle, If so when, What is Power Pumping, Caring for the Breast, Engorgement: Signs, How to Treat, Prevention, How to Nurse while Engorged, Sore Nipples, Plugged Ducts: Symptoms, Treatment, While Nursing, Natural Remedies, Preventing Mastitis: Symptoms, Prevention, Treatment, While Nursing, Increasing Milk Supply, Sour Smelling Breast Milk, Candida Infection: How to Treat, Prevention, Symptoms, Gas-Producing Foods, Guidelines for Storing Breastmilk, Containers to use, How to Warm and How to Thaw.
Reflux and Colic: What is Reflux, Nocturnal Reflux, Silent Reflux, Symptoms, Natural Remedies, Medications, Breastfeeding and Reflux, Causes of Reflux, Formula and Reflux, What is Colic, Minor and Major GI Disorders, Over-Stimulation, Biological Clock, Gas and Digestion Issues, Natural Ways to Soothe Colic – Ailments – Cradle Cap, Signs Of, Treatment of, When to See a Doctor, Baby Acne, Shaken Baby Syndrome, Positional Plagiocephaly, Torticollis, Jaundice – 4 Kinds – Symptoms and Treatment, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome SIDS, RSV Each of these Ailments is discussed with the Symptoms and Treatments Stated. Newborn safety – Bedding – Cribs and toys – Pacifiers – Changing Tables – Infant seats and Bouncy’s – Swing Safety – Decorating for Safety – General Safety for any Room
This class includes:
2. Mom does not let the baby cry – ever
3. Mom will not give the baby a pacifier
4. Mom gives the baby a pacifier all the time
5. The baby is sleeping in a swing or is being rocked to sleep
6. Baby is sleeping for one hour at a time.
7. Mom wants to feed on demand.
8. Mom is just home from the hospital and has a house full of Company.
9. Mom wants to sleep with the monitor on.
10. Dr. wants the baby up every hour to eat and baby is past due date and over 5
11. Dr. wants to do something you know is not appropriate for the
12. Mom is depressed and not sleeping.
13. Mom has been told she is not a good mother unless she breastfeeds.
14. Mom thinks the baby needs middle of the night feeding at 8 weeks even through he is sleeping through.
15. Even though you leave the invoice on the counter, the check is not there the next morning and you always have to ask for your check.
16. Parents are willing to sign the contract but not pay the deposit.
17. Parents are not willing to pay you your hourly rate, but you really need the work.
18. Parents have an extra guest room but are asking you to sleep in the baby’s room on a mat.
19. You have agreed to sleep on the couch, but it is very uncomfortable or the dog is sleeping next to the couch and he really stinks.
20. Dad snores so loud you cannot get any sleep
21. The baby is smelling dirty and you have already shown mom how to bathe him and you get there to late at night to do it yourself.
22. Parents want you to do something to the baby (shave head, pierce ears, clip fingernails) and you must tell them it is not your job.
23. Someone in the home is being inappropriate with you – obviously flirting or making unwanted suggestions.
24. During an interview a client asks you your age. 25. You get off at 6 but everyday Mom finds a reason for you to stay longer.
26. It is 5:55 AM and you get off at 6 and the baby starts to fuss and you can tell the baby is hungry.
27. Should you tell mom the properties of formula if she cannot
28. Sibling care – what do you do if the sibling is up every night and parents are not tending to him.
29. How do you handle unexpected sibling care.
Failure to Thrive – Organic and Inorganic causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Death of a Child – Stages of Grief, What NCS can do, Baby Dies in Hospital or Before Birth, A Baby’s Mind – Conscious and Unconscious Mind, Development of a Child’s Mind from 0 – 6 years, How a Child Learns, Communication – 30 second introduction, Communication Styles, How to Communicate Effectively with Clients
Natural Remedies and Chemicals: Chemicals in Baby’s Products, Causes of Infertility, Chemicals to Avoid, Chemical Affect Baby’s Life, Chemical Uses and Dangers, Natural Substitutes for Chemical Products. Warning Signs-Is, the Newborn in Trouble, Taking a Temperature – rectal, axillary, forehead and ear, When a Baby Has a Fever, What to Tell the Pediatrician, When to Call the Dr., How to Lower a Temperature, Medicine Consent Form, Projectile Vomiting, How to Treat a Cold, Using the Vaporizer, Hot or Cool Mist, Cleaning, Placement, Nasal Discharge, Nasal Aspirator, Administrative Medications, Oral, Ear, Eye, Diaper Rash Cheat Sheet, Diaper Rash Names, Symptoms, Treatment, Natural Remedies, Make Your Own Diaper Wipes, Preventing Diaper Rash, When to Call the Doctor. Thrush, shat is Thrush, When to call the Dr. Postpartum Depression – In this class we discuss all aspects of PPD, how to deal with, recognize, treat, what to do if your client does not realize she has PPD. Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale is included. Postpartum Psychosis, Can Fathers have PPD, Baby Blues and Postpartum Depression are discussed.
Ethics: The Interview – Time, Directions, Before the Interview, How to Dress, Thank You Note, Nail, Hair, Makeup, Uniform, Facebook and Twitter, Portfolio – Blinder, What to Include, What Not to include, Resumes, References, Order of Portfolio, Things Clients Look For, Mistakes in Interview, On the Job Protocol – Confidentiality, Food on the Job, Problem Solving, I’m Sick, Billing Invoice, How to Collect Your Salary, On the Job Appearance, Exit Letter, Contracts,Terms not Amicable